Everyone knows the saying, “the customer is always right.”
The thinking behind this is that, regardless of circumstances, customer service is always paramount. Fail to satisfy client demand, and your reputation is at stake – no matter how outrageous their demands.
There’s another business adage worth looking into: “the customer isn’t always pleasant.”
When your business receives angry calls from customers (from real or perceived shortcomings in customer service), what is your plan of action? Do you even have a standard set of scripts or action items to handle uneasy clients?
This tricky part of customer service is just one reason why businesses all across the globe trust TeleDirect to handle all aspects of client communication. Our business process outsourcing (BPO) processes and services, including our contact center, ensures your clients are getting the attention they deserve – especially during those times when they’re certain they deserve that extra attention!
We provide everything from high-tech backend support to the best-trained agents in the industry – for any industry! What’s more, our BPO contact center services enable any business (including yours) to focus on other business-critical tasks, even while we take care of your customer service requirements!
So what is the best way to handle those cranky customers?
How NOT to Escalate Customer Frustration
Every business must deal with frustrated customers. Sometimes, there are no legitimate grievances. Other times, your products or services are clearly to blame. Whatever the root cause of their anger, it’s best to keep these principles in mind:
- Stay calm. Your customers are already frustrated. Adding another loud voice to the equation simply escalates the situation.
- Listen & repeat. Without understanding your customer’s frustration, finding a solution is next to impossible. Keep an attentive ear to their concerns, and repeat your responses, if necessary. An angry customer isn’t the most receptive customer. Sometimes, it helps to reinforce what your business is doing to rectify the situation. Bottom line: repeat as required.
- Ensure a solution – or a plan to solve their problem. Discount vouchers, follow-up communication, upcoming product improvements – there are plenty of ways to make sure your angry customer goes away from the call satisfied. Not all problems are 100% solvable during a phone call, yet every issue demands 100% commitment from your customer service team.
Customer Communication No-Nos: Avoid these Phrases
When dealing with uneasy customers, what NOT to do is sometimes as important – or even more important – than what to do.
There are a few hot-button statements you should certainly avoid on the phone with upset clients. Drum roll, please…here are things you should never say to frustrated customers on the phone:
- “Please hold.” When resolving customer issues, time is of the essence. When you tell a customer to hold while they’re already upset, it just adds fuel to the fire. Instead, explain that your team is actively investigating the issue and will have a resolution soon. Here’s an even smarter solution: sign up with TeleDirect’s BPO call center services and enjoy optimal call routing, live agent assistance, and intuitive scripting resources to assist with unsure clients.
- “There’s nothing we can do right now.” Nothing adds frustration more than admitting your business is helpless in the face of a client’s problem. Instead, tell your customer that their issue is important, and your business will resolve accordingly.
- “Would you like to speak to my superior?” This is the ultimate admittance that you’re unable to assist at all. A customer doesn’t want to feel like they’re being passed over. Exhaust all resources before getting help from a manager. With TeleDirect’s live agents, vast customer service experience, optimal call routing processes and superior inbound services, we’ll help your business avoid phrases just like this!
Keep Your Customers Happy – Sign up with TeleDirect Today!
Experience the TeleDirect difference – see how we deliver value and results for all of our clients. Simply fill out our customer contact form, or call our customer service consultants directly at (800) 776-1081. Thanks for visiting TeleDirect!
Smitha is the CEO and CFO of TeleDirect. As the CEO of TeleDirect, Smitha is responsible for running all facets of the business and has a proven executive management track record. Smitha obtained her license as CPA in 2007 from the California Board of Accountancy. With more than 15 years of experience in business, finance and accounting, Smitha is also responsible for implementing financial controls and processes. She is also responsible for organizational improvements and streamlining business operations that drive growth, increase efficiency, and bottom-line profit.